Our client is a global Life Insurer operating in 31 countries, with premiums & deposits of approximately $3 billion, and 1,500 staff. This organization provides a range of life insurance solutions offering protection, savings, accident & health, credit protection, and group employee coverages and benefits, distributed via an agency force of 100,000 agents, as well as independent agents, brokers, financial advisors, banks, digital channels and other avenue distribution partners.
In accordance with its ambitious business objectives and growth trajectory, the company is actively expanding into new lines of business, product segments, channels and geographic markets, while maximizing its existing businesses. In parallel, they are investing to transform their operating model and technology, becoming a more digitally driven and organizationally integrated business.
This evolution is driving a need for greater sophistication in shaping and executing its global business portfolio and market-specific strategies. Commensurately, enhanced collaboration across strategy, business and functional leadership will be critical to tackling new challenges, capturing opportunities, and achieving organizational goals.
The VP Business Development & Planning will be a key role within this organization's global senior leadership, which is based in New Jersey, Hong Kong, Miami and London. The position will be based in the New York City area and will report to the Head of Partnerships Business & Corporate Development, with a direct matrix into the President of the business, both of whom are also based locally.
The position will play a critical, high-profile role in driving the company's strategy development and execution. The scope of responsibilities covers all aspects of business at the global and individual-market levels, across channels and functions; and includes strategy, planning, initiative design, change portfolio management, and execution leadership. The position will require extensive collaboration with a wide range of senior stakeholders including global/regional/market business leaders, channel heads, senior functional leaders, and colleagues in other business divisions.
The position will also support the development of the organization's partnerships distribution channel, which is a global priority.
- Strategy & Planning Responsibilities:
- Corporate strategy development, i.e., serving as a primary internal strategy consultant to an array of senior stakeholders
- Strategic planning, i.e., shared leadership (with FP&A) for key cyclical planning exercises such as long-term planning and annual budgeting
- Strategic initiative design and execution, i.e., developing and leading execution of various strategy projects in support of business and functional leaders; and managing consulting vendors and data/info resources
- Initiative portfolio management, i.e., setting strategic priorities, rationales and sequencing; working with PMO teams to track and report key initiative progress
- Competitive intelligence monitoring to inform strategic priorities
- Ad hoc project support for President and other leaders on various projects
- Partnerships Distribution Responsibilities:
- Business development research and support, including prospect sourcing research; pipeline tracking; and competitive insights - all in close collaboration with individual country business development personnel
- Deal development support, including business case creation; cross-functional due diligence coordination; and insights, in collaboration with functional leaders
- Account optimization strategy, including account performance reviews; product/pricing/penetration strategy development; and action planning and execution tracking
- Ad hoc project support for Head of Partnerships Business & Corporate Development on various partnerships projects
- Corporate Development Responsibilities:
- M&A analysis and support, including market-monitoring; screening / targeting research; due diligence of active opportunities; and deal business case development
- Monitoring of life insurance market M&A and venture investment activity
- MBA with 3-6 years of post-MBA top-tier management consulting experience
- Experienced in various elements the core management consulting toolkit, including:
- Corporate and business unit strategy development
- Customer strategy, go-to-market strategy, and/or sales for effectiveness;
- Operations/tech/cost management and optimization
- M&A assessment and post-merger integration; and org / operating model design.
- Financial modeling and analysis
- Strategic planning
- Financial Services sector experience preferred (though not required)
- Seeking to leverage strategy experience to move into eventual operating role
- Enjoys international business travel and cross-cultural collaboration
- Self-starter, capable of setting own agenda, and working with moderate direction
- Consummate collaborator who can also influence
- Comfortable working in a high-profile role with a diverse range stakeholders
- Able to productively liaise with peers in other business divisions
- Seeking an opportunity for rapid, merit-based advancement